Angga Dwiartama, Ph.D
School of Life Sciences and Technology
Institut Teknologi Bandung
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
|2011 – 2014
||Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Geography at the Centre for Sustainability: Agriculture, Food, Energy, Environment (CSAFE) – Department of Geography, University of Otago
|Thesis title: Investigating resilience of agriculture and food systems: insights from two theories and two case studies
|2006 – 2008
||Master of Science (M.Sc) in Biological Resources Management – School of Life Science and Technology, Institute of Technology Bandung (ITB), Indonesia
|Thesis title: Evaluation and strategy formulation for the management of Nutmeg Smallholder Estate in Paya Teuk Village, Pasieraja District, South Aceh Regency
|2000 – 2005
||Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) in Biology – Institute of Technology Bandung (ITB), Indonesia
|Thesis title: An analysis of traditional knowledge of Kampung Kuta community, Ciamis, West Java regarding the medicinal usage of plants
|Professional Memberships and Research Networks
|2014 – present
||Lecturer at Institut Teknologi Bandung
Sociology of Agriculture (BA3104),Industrial Ecology (BE4101),Research Methodology in Biomanagement (BP5001),Integrated Farming System (BA3203),Agricultural Policies and Regulations (BA4102)
|2012 – 2013
||Teaching fellow at the University of Otago
The Global Politics of Food (SOCI319), Environment and Society (ENVI111)
|2009 – 2011
||Teaching Assistant and Tutor at Institut Teknologi Bandung
Management in Biology, Professional Ethics, Case Studies in Biomanagement, Environmental Economics, Biodiversity Business, Environment Management System
Sociology of agriculture and food; Sustainable agri-food system; Resilience thinking; Post-structuralist political economy [actor-network theory, assemblage, governmentality, theory of practice]; Alternative Food Networks (AFNs)
Commodities of interest: rice, sugar, cacao, coffee
|Supervisory role for post-graduate students
- Reina Yulianti [Masters Student in Biomanagement; co-supervised by Dr. Mia Rosmianti]. Managing urban green spaces in Bandung
- Adzani Ghani Ilmannafian [Masters Student in Biomanagement; co-supervised by Dr. Mia Rosmianti]. Social, economic and ecological responses of Cieunteung rural community to the development of polder on Citarum watershed
- Aulia Rahmah [Masters Student in Biomanagement; co-supervised by Dr. Mia Rosmianti]. Evaluating the sustainability of red chili pepper commodity system
Peer reviewed publication
- Dwiartama, A. (2016). Resilience thinking, fluidity, and the agency of a quasi-actant. Dialogues in Human Geography 6(1): 28-31 [Impact factor: 1.243 – 2014 data]
- Dwiartama, A. & Piatti, C. (2016). Assembling local, assembling food security . Agriculture and Human Values 33: 153-164 [Impact factor: 1.359]
- Piatti, C. & Dwiartama, A. (2016). From Food Security to the Enactment of Change: Introduction to the Symposium. Agriculture and Human Values 33: 135-139 [Impact factor: 1.359]
- Dwiartama, A. & Rosin, C. (2014). Exploring agency beyond humans: the compatibility of actor-network theory (ANT) and resilience thinking. Ecology and Society 19(3): 28 [Impact factor: 3.310]
- Rosin, C., Dwiartama, A., Grant, D., & Hopkins, D. (2013). Using provenance to create stability: State‐led territorialisation of Central Otago as assemblage. New Zealand Geographer 69(3): 235-248 [Impact factor: 0.526]
- Dwiartama, A. (under review). Resilience and transformation of the New Zealand kiwifruit industry in the face of Psa disease. Journal of Rural Studies [Impact factor: 2.444]
- Piatti, C. & Dwiartama, A. (under review). Dunedin Food system: evidences from a local food system. New Zealand Sociology. [Impact factor: 0.188]
Scientific reports and Book chapters
- Dwiartama, A., Rosin, C., & Campbell, H. (2015). ‘Worlds of Rice: Understanding agrifood systems as assemblages’. In Richard Le Heron, Hugh Campbell, Nick Lewis & Michael Carolan (Eds). Biological Economies: Experimentation and the politics of agrifood frontiers. London, UK: Routledge Publishing.
- Dwiartama, A., Fukuda, Y., Woodford, K., Manhire, J., Moller, H., Mavromatis, G., … & Rosin, C. (2013). International research collaboration for agricultural sustainability: opportunities for partnership with the New Zealand Sustainability Dashboard. The NZ Sustainability Dashboard Research Report 13/11. Published by ARGOS.
- Rosin, C., Dwiartama, A., & Hunt, L. (2012). Policy Approaches to Environmental Practice in Agriculture: a review of international literature and recommendations for application in New Zealand. ARGOS Research Report 12/11.
- Rosin, C., Dwiartama, A., Hunt, L. & van den Dungen, S. (2012). Resilience in Retrospective: Analysis of Response to Shocks and Stress in the New Zealand Kiwifruit and Sheep and Beef Sectors. ARGOS (Agriculture Research Group on Sustainability) Research Report 12/08.
Papers presented in international conferences
- Dwiartama, A., Neilson, J. & Pritchard, B. (2015). From chain to network: a preliminary study on the Global Production Networks (GPN) of chocolate industry in Indonesia. Paper presented (oral) at the 22nd Australasian Agri-Food Research Network Conference, 7 – 9 December 2015, Queenstown: New Zealand.
- Dwiartama, A. (2014). The vibrancy of rice in Indonesia’s agriculture and food system: a look beyond political economy. Paper presented (oral) at the 21st Australasian Agri-Food Research Network Conference , 23 – 26 November 2014, Sydney: Australia.
- Dwiartama, A. (2013). Can resilience be linked to food security?: A multi-scalar analysis of resilience in Indonesia’s rice agrifood system. Paper presented (oral) at the 20th Australasian Agri-Food Research Network Conference, 2 – 5 December 2013, Melbourne: Australia.
- Piatti, C. & Dwiartama, A. (2013). Potential and challenges of a bottom-up approach towards an urban food strategy: the case of Dunedin’s local food network. Paper presented (oral) at the 20th Australasian Agri-Food Research Network Conference, 2 – 5 December 2013, Melbourne: Australia.
- Dwiartama, A., Rosin, C. & Campbell, H. (2013). Resilience in the making: a review of the New Zealand kiwifruit industry as an assemblage of multiple actors. Paper presented (oral) at the European Society of Rural Sociology (ESRS) Congress, 29 July – 1 August 2013, Florence: Italy.
- Dwiartama, A. (2012). Resilience at what cost? The New Zealand kiwifruit industry in the face of the Psa disease. Paper presented (oral) at the Australasian Agri-Food Research Network Conference, 5 – 8 December 2012, Palmerston North: New Zealand.
- Dwiartama, A. (2012). Incorporating actor-network theory to the study of agrifood systems’ resilience: A case study of Indonesia’s rice agriculture. Paper presented (oral) at the XIII World Congress of Rural Sociology , 29 July – 4 August 2012, Lisbon: Portugal.
- Dwiartama, A. (2011). Identifying the Resilience of New Zealand’s kiwifruit and Indonesia’s rice Agrifood Systems in the Face of Various Shocks. Paper presented (oral) at the Australasian Agri-Food Research Network Conference , 5 – 8 December 2011, Canberra: Australia.
Papers presented in local and national conferences
- Dwiartama, A., Choesin, D.N. (2010). Ecological and Socio-economic Analysis of Nutmeg Smallholder Estate in South Aceh Regency. Paper presented (poster) at The 1st Joint Symposium of ITB and USM 2010, 20 –21 December 2010, Bandung: Indonesia.
- Nawangsidi, H., Subahar, T, Salim, S., Choesin, D., Sulistyawati, E., Suprijo, T., Triastuti, I., Yuswana, Dwiartama, A., Samsirina, Syahyudesrina, Kusyala, D., Solihah, K. (2009). Integrating Climate Change Adaptation with Zonation Planning in Coastal Areas: Case Study in Indramayu & Pasekan District, West Java. Presented in the Seminar & Workshop on Strategic Environment Assessment (SEA) Study. The Ministry of Environment – Republic of Indonesia.
- Dasuki, U.A., Dwiartama, A. (2005). Traditional Medicinal Knowledge of Kampung Kuta Community in comparison with other traditional communities in West Java Province. Paper presented (oral) at the Seminar of Plant Taxonomy, November 2005. UPI : Bandung-Indonesia.
- Menelusuri hakikat ketahanan pangan [in Bahasa; transl. Exploring the true meaning of food security]. ‘Pikir’ Column PRO:AKTIF Online. August 2014.
- Pangan dalam cengkeraman kapitalisme [in Bahasa; transl. Food in the grasp of capitalism]. ‘Pikir’ Column in PRO:AKTIF Online. August 2014.
- City looks to sustainable food systems. ‘Over the Fence’ Column in Otago Daily Times, March 2013.
|2015 – 2016
||Food processing and value chain development in Indonesia – with Dr. Jeff Neilson; funded by the Australia-Indonesia Centre (AIC)
||Developing standards for bamboo as a material for musical instrument (angklung) – with Dr. Eko Mursito Budi; funded by LPDP
|2015 – 2016
||Integrated Urban Farming System for marginal communities in Bandung – funded by ITB
|2014 – 2015
||Mapping local and alternative food movements in Bandung, Indonesia – self-funded
|2014 – 2015
||Ecologically-based rodent management: developing a system dynamic model for rice production cluster in West Java – with Dr. Achmad Sjarmidi; funded by PT. Pupuk Kujang
|2012 – 2013
||The Good Food Project: mapping Dunedin’s local food system – with Dr. Cinzia Piatti; self-funded, supported by CSAFE, University of Otago, New Zealand
|2012 – 2013
||Research Assistant in the Agriculture Research Group on Sustainability (ARGOS) Project, CSAFE, University of Otago, New Zealand